Thursday, August 14, 2014

SBG Bulletin Board

So this whole post is probably rather ridiculous but it's really just something I'm trying to make a decision on.

So last month I modified Kelly O'Shea's flowchart to make my own:


Then yesterday, Sarah Hagan tweeted this:

And although I already printed and laminated my poster, I happen to have an empty bulletin board you can see here:


So instead of getting ready to go teach summer school this morning, I started to cut arrows and make my poster bigger.


Printed it on cardstock and ended up here:


And this is where the ridiculous sets in because any normal person would have probably called it a day there and been done. Nope. Decided I didn't like the rectangles so I cut.


And once all the pieces were on the floor I started playing. The layout is perfectly fine as is, but since I wasn't trying to fit it onto a piece of paper I started moving things around. 

While a bulletin board is not going to be the center of attention or anything and it's probably not that big of a deal, I'm a perfectionist and I once I get an idea I have to run with it or it drives me nuts. Also, it would be handy to put up a large scale graphic idea of SBG in my room because it would save me a lot of explaining. Not to my kids because they get it, but to everyone else. People seemed to be very curious about what was going on in my room last year. Even my kids told me that other adults would ask them what exactly it was.

So I keep playing around with the cards on my living room floor and these are some of the options. 






I have two favorites that I'm deciding between, but I'm curious to hear anyone else's thoughts.

19 comments:

  1. I like the last one because "new skill" and "mastery" are physically the farthest from each other. There's a lot of work to get from one of those to the other, and this way it doesn't feel like you're ending up right back in the same place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm of no help, but I am wondering if you will share the posters? I would love to hang that in my classroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I second that comment. I'd love to hang this in my classroom too. Could you share the posters?

      Delete
    2. I wish I could but I'm having problems with the site I use to share files from. Even if I did put it up it wouldn't be downloadable :(

      Delete
  3. Last one. Most visually concise and clear. The shape of the flow best represents the process, and it's not cluttered.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Chris, the last one seems to be the best arrangement because it looks like progress. I absolutely love this!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that the last one is my favorite of the arrangements. Thanks for sharing and inspiring me in my classroom. Have a great school year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the last one the best as well. It has the best flow (no pun intended :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with all of the above. I like the last one. i like that the new skill is at its farthest point from mastery and the way everything flows nicely together. I'm just beginning to use this assessment in my classroom. I think I'll make a poster so kids and parents have a visual. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just a thought, what about replacing "ask for help" with something like "get help?" Allows for student autonomy to analyze and fix on their own. Checking notes, watching a video, etc. Either way, I love this. Please share the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh absolutely! I like that wording much better and it's an easy fix since it's all still on my living room floor. Thanks for the suggestion!

      Delete
  9. I like the first one and the last one :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just curious... Do you think it is possible for a student to move directly from the first quiz to mastery? It seems to me that some students could work out their mistakes during the practice and thus master the skill after the first quiz. I would argue that you need an arrow from the first quiz to mastery. I have no experience with SBG, just a thought...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That actually crossed my mind and I did at one point put the arrow there. The way I use SBG though is that "mastery" or the highest score (5) comes from getting a 4 twice. I try to tell them that mastering it means they know how to do it and proved they remembered it after some time. So in that sense there isn't really moving right to mastery since they need to prove they didn't lose it.

      Delete
  11. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! I too couldn't download the poster but I did manage to save the jpg you've posted. I'm wondering though how you got the individual pieces so big. I'd love to do EXACTLY what you've done and post it on my board. Could you share through Google docs maybe? Post a link?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may have already found them, but I posted the links to download them here: http://everybodyisageniusblog.blogspot.com/2014/08/how-to-learn.html

      Delete
  12. what program did you use to create the posters? thanks for sharing. I, too, will be using a version in my classroom. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a combination of Photoshop and Powerpoint for these particular ones

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...