Monday, August 13, 2012

Classroom Progress

So if there is anyone that is feeling stressed out seeing all these pictures of perfect looking classrooms, then this post is for you.

Today was the first actual day that I got to spend getting stuff done in my classroom.  The first thing I needed to figure out was how the room is going to work.  The room that I'm moving into has no real tables (I like tables) and instead a ton of bookshelves so I had to figure out how to make that work too.

The way that I like to create flow and make my classroom functional is to create zones in logical places.  I try to think about when and how kids or I will be using things and place them accordingly.

When you come in the door this is to the right.  For the most part, this is all the stuff that kids use every now and then under my direction.  So markers, playing cards, colored paper, dice and other stuff like that is all here.  It's the type of stuff that I'll pull out if we need it for the day's lesson, but I don't really want to kids to have access to on their own.  I'm not sure if you can tell from these pictures, but I also covered the shelves with my black and white contact paper.

This is to the left when you walk in.  This will be the ISN supply center.  The filing cabinets is where I will keep all the past pages so that kids can update their books when necessary.  It looks like I'll be doing two different books so each class will have their own drawer.  The shelf there will be the daily papers.  Each class will have their own shelf with a left and right tray that contains any papers for the day (left tray=left page, right tray=right page).  Also on the shelf will be the trash buckets.  Next to that is the shelf that contains the supply baskets.  As a rule, these will be on the tables but when they need to go away this will be the spot.

This is my teaching area.  I'm not a teach from my desk type person so I have the table up there for that.  Behind that is a set of storage cubes to keep other teaching type stuff.  The trays on the top are for the day's copies (aside from ISN stuff) that I plan to hand out.  I have three preps so there is one set of trays for each.  The filing cabinets to the left will be for stuff that I don't want/need kids to have access to.  I'd also really like to have a podium up here to hold stuff I'm currently using.  I've seen some plans online and I think they seem fairly straightforward to build so that's an idea I'm thinking about.

This still messy looking area is my desk and computer.  I am always using the computer for stuff so I prefer to have it right at my desk.  I like the work area that an L shaped set up gives me.  Right now the part in the back corner there is empty but I'd like to try to find/make a table that fits back there to complete the L.

This disaster area back here is stuff that I don't mind the kids having access to (except for the cabinet).  The trays on the shelf are the missed work folders.  This is an example of thinking about how things are going to be used in planning where to put them.  Originally I was going to put these on the shelves by the door, but if kids are catching up with missed work I would prefer for them to not be doing that right by my desk.  Having this in the back of the room would be better flow.  I also have a class that's going to have writing folders that will be staying in my room so I think that I may also put those here (or on the ISN shelf by the door..not sure yet).

And as an added bonus...here's the view from my desk right now.  So yeahhh...I've still got some work to do.



3 comments:

  1. I just have to say...I LOVE your blog. I have no intention of ever blogging for myself, but I do love reading yours. I just laughed out loud when I saw your pics and read your post. I am stressing about getting my room ready by this Tuesday, but saw your pics and realized that I am not the only one feeling that way. I have been a traveling teacher for 4 years now (grrrrrrr...) and I have to set up a new room every year.

    Keep posting!!!
    7th grade math teacher and 8th grade science teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I'm glad to hear that. Doesn't it look like a disaster area?? I went back today and did some more so I think I'll post another update tomorrow. Good luck with your room! Moving every year must be very frustrating..

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing your room in progress - I especially liked your beginning about how if we're stressed at all the perfect looking classrooms then read on! Even though I've been up to school a lot this summer, I've been pulled into meetings, committees and technology issues and haven't *started* on my room yet! We report Monday, and kids the following week, so I have some time but not much! Thanks for the inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...